Sorry, this vacancy is now closed and applications can’t be submitted!
SumOfUs is expanding our online fundraising team. If you find fundraising exhilarating, if you're excited about global economic justice, and if you're hungry to experiment with new technology to create and scale campaigns for the 21st century, then this is the role for you.
You can work remotely or from a co-working office in any time zone ranging between GMT -5 hours (Eastern Americas) and GMT +2 hours (UK / Western Europe / Africa).
Who we are
SumOfUs is a global movement of consumers, investors, and workers standing together to hold corporations accountable for their actions and forge a new, sustainable and just path for our global economy. We are a movement of more than 10 million people, brought together by a global team of 34 campaigners, technologists, media-fanatics, data-geeks, and strategists. Our purpose is to challenge corporate power everywhere. We hold the biggest corporations in the world (and their political allies) to account by mobilising millions of people to take collective action.
By working with humility and humor, and investing in its people and systems, SumOfUs aims to build the most effective, diverse, and talented global team possible. We’re passionate, low-ego, and fun to work with. We’re always looking for new ways of doing things, and we embrace professional and organizational growth.
What you’ll do as a fundraising specialist on the SumOfUs team
- Write email fundraisers to engage and mobilise our members with strategic actions and a compelling narrative about corporate power;
- Coordinate with campaigners on the strategic tactics to win campaigns and build our movement;
- Work directly with fundraising team leader to achieve strategic objectives by leading projects including, but not limited to legacy work, mid-level donor stewardship, experimentation and UX.
- Make sure we’re updating our best-practices to reflect global (and regional) trends in web and mobile donating;
- Support our team and work with contractors, including project management;
- Act as deputy to the fundraising team leader;
- Get a chance to try your hand at campaigning; and
- Other roles, as needed (we’re still a start up environment!).
Skills and experiences you’ll need to bring
We have no formal education requirements – if you take on the role and are willing to grow with it, that’s all that matters.
All roles at SumOfUs require you to be:
- Comfortable in fast-moving work environments;
- Dedicated to building a fairer and more sustainable global economy;
- An excellent communicator in English;
- An enthusiastic technologist and experimenter;
- Committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace culture.
And, this role in particular will require you to:
- Have at least two years experience in digital fundraising;
- Have expertise in individual (annual) fundraising or direct marketing; preferably online but in person also welcome;
- A talented copywriter with an excellent understanding of donor behaviour;
- Experienced in supervising and mentoring staff; and
- Based in a time zone between GMT -5 hours (Eastern Americas) and GMT +2 hours (Western Europe/Africa).
Other skills that would be nice to have
Here’s a list of other skills that you might have. We know that no one can possibly have all these skills - you will likely be able to bring 2 or 3 of the following to our team:
- Be familiar with the Avaaz/MoveOn/38 Degrees/Campact model of digital fundraising;
- Proficiency in major world languages other than English – especially French, German or Spanish;
- Experience managing a large email list (100,000+ subscribers);
- Experience with online campaigning;
- Experience using SQL and data and experimentation tools (e.g. Optimizely), ideally in a fundraising environment;
- From or experience working closely with communities affected by corporate power -- from indigenous communities to low-wage workers;
- Experience cultivating individual major donors and/or foundation giving;
- Experience in remote working;
- Experience with market campaigns or corporate accountability issues;
- Experience working with mobile technology and user interfaces.
Compensation is competitive and will be determined based on a combination of experience, seniority, and the city you live in. For example: for qualified applicants, this position will pay the following ranges:
- In New York City, salary will range between approximately USD $70,000 to $80,000
Johannesburg: between approximately 796,000 to 882,000 Rand
Brussels: between approximately €50,800 to 56,300
We offer significant benefits, including:
- the ability to work from home or a co-working space,
- flexibility to set your own hours,
- 5 weeks paid vacation time per year, plus public holidays,
- 6 months paid parental leave,
- paid sick leave,
- health insurance, and
- 8% retirement fund contributions.
This position will report to the Fundraising Manager.
SumOfUs is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of SumOfUs to provide equal employment opportunity to all applicants for employment and employees and not to discriminate because of race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, personal appearance, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, genetic information, or political affiliation. Equal employment opportunities will be provided in employment, recruitment, selection, compensation, benefits, promotion, demotion, layoff, termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.
People from communities that traditionally experience discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity or immigration status; women; new parents; people with disabilities; and LGBTQ+ people are especially encouraged to apply.
The client is happy to conduct telephone interviews for overseas candidates.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.