Sorry, this vacancy is now closed and applications can’t be submitted!
Drive Hope for Children's success and impact by leading an inspirational team and maximising relationships with corporate partners, major donors, trusts & foundations, RAGs, individual donors and supporters. We're seeking a dynamic, charismatic, creative and experienced Head of Fundraising and Communications. The role details are as follows:
- Job Title: Head of Fundraising & Communications
- Salary: £38,000 to £43,500 depending on experience
- Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire
- Hours: 40 hours per week
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Reports To: Chief Executive
Hope for Children is an international charity that passionately believes every child has the right to a happy, healthy and positive childhood. Yet, almost half of the world’s children are vulnerable and living in poverty. We are changing this by making a safe and fulfilling childhood a reality for more of the world’s children. We are improving their access to education and healthcare, empowering their families to support themselves whilst developing their confidence and self-esteem. Most importantly we are giving them hope.
To provide exceptional leadership to the fundraising team to develop, diversify and grow the charity’s income base and increase brand recognition through effective communications. The Head of Fundraising & Communications will oversee a small team who manage fundraising grant applications, student fundraising, challenges, community events and communications whilst directly driving major gifts, corporate partnerships and regular giving.
Working closely with the Chief Executive, Programmes and Finance teams, you will be an integral part of the senior management team – a major contributor to the continued success of the charity and the delivery of our life-changing work across the world.
This post is perfectly suited for an experienced and effective fundraising professional, with great charisma, vision and tenacity who knows how to deliver success across a number of charitable income streams.
1. Strategic Management
- Develop an effective fundraising and communications strategy that enables the charity to build on recent fundraising successes, mitigate risks, improve brand awareness and develop deep relationships with new and existing donors/supporters.
- Develop, manage and lead all fundraising departments – including Corporate Partnerships, Major Donors, Trusts & Foundations, Events & Community – ensuring they reach their agreed income targets.
- Play an active role in strategic planning and shaping the future direction of the organisation.
- Set, manage and monitor fundraising budgets and provide regular performance information for the CEO and Trustees.
- Plan and forecast a range of fundraising and communications activities that enable the organisation to meet its strategic objectives, ensure long-term financial stability and maximise return on investment.
- Provide commercial acumen and expertise to diversify & grow income streams, with a focus on major gifts, corporate partnerships and regular giving.
- Work closely with Finance Team to monitor and evaluate the performance of fundraising/communications activities against plans, forecasts and targets.
- Keep up to date with any legal, political, environmental, social or sector changes that could impact the organisation’s ability to meet its fundraising plans.
- Ensure all legal standards and best practice compliance standards are exceeded throughout all fundraising and marketing activities.
- Ensure that the charity’s values and culture are embedded in all fundraising and communications activities.
2. Leadership & Team Management
- Provide effective leadership to the Fundraising and Communications Teams, including setting realistic work plans, objectives and targets.
- Develop, support, inspire, coach and motivate team members (staff & interns) to deliver their roles and objectives to the best of their abilities.
- Manage and develop the performance of team members through regular supervision, appraisals, training needs analysis and monitoring.
- Champion a positive, cooperative, ‘can do’, solution-focused culture within the organisation.
- Act as a key external spokesperson, helping to build the charity’s profile locally, nationally and internationally.
- Advertise for, recruit and train fundraising and communications team members.
3. Raising Funds & Donor Relations
- Grow and develop funds raised from corporate partners, major gifts, legacies and regular giving.
- Develop excellent relationships with major donors, patrons, major supporters, corporate partners and trusts/foundations, and regularly monitor pipeline of hot leads across multiple departments.
- Ensure an effective donor journey for all donors that maximises donor acquisition, value & retention.
- Work closely with the Fundraising & Programmes Team to develop funding proposals that align with institutional, corporate and/or individual donor priorities.
- Research, develop business cases for and implement new fundraising/communications initiatives/campaigns to grow existing income streams and develop new ones.
- Plan, manage and execute key events (eg. the annual Hope Ball), working closely with external supporter committees to source high-value prizes and sell tickets/teams/tables.
- Work with the wider Fundraising Team to create, develop and deliver other events, including bespoke challenges, community and engagement opportunities.
- Ensure the effective management of the donor/supporter’s data and that key activity is recorded accurately in organizational information systems.
- Maintain financial records/contracts related to donations/partnership(s), reporting regularly to the CEO.
- Regularly monitor progress against partnership plans and agreed objectives.
4. Communications & Marketing
- Manage all external communications – including press releases, social media, e-newsletters, website updates, print marketing/advertising, PPC campaigns – creating communications plans.
- Support effective internal communications across the organisation through the implementation of knowledge sharing systems and activities.
- Develop and deliver a digital strategy, with an emphasis on performance marketing through improved SEO and maximisation of Google AdWords Grant
- Oversee design and production of all marketing assets & fundraising tools to support fundraising activities.
- Foster excellent relationships with 1) media contacts to maximise media opportunities, and 2) pro bono agencies (digital transformation, photography, video production) to deliver exceptional marketing materials.
- Create engaging, informative and timely reports to donors.
5. General Responsibilities
- Develop relevant policies and procedures relating to Fundraising and Communications.
- Monitor effectiveness of systems and suggest improvements.
- Respond to team and donor/support queries with timely and accurate information.
- Support colleagues at key events including fundraising events and the AGM.
- To contribute effectively to team meetings, discussions and decision making; and attend training as required.
- To monitor possible reputational risks to the organisation and alert and support senior management team where necessary.
- To represent all aspects of Hope for Children’s work appropriately and professionally, to external and internal contacts.
- At all times act in the best interests of the Charity.
- To work within all policies, procedures and budgets set by Hope for Children.
6. Child Safeguarding
- To read and personally comply with all aspects of Hope for Children’s Child Safeguarding Policy and to attend group or individual training, inductions on the same.
- To report promptly any child safeguarding issue that you become aware of in the course of your work at Hope for Children as per Hope’s Child Safeguarding Policy.
- Experience of working in a senior fundraising role.
- track record of setting and achieving income targets.
- Experience of managing people.
- Experience of working in a charity/NGO.
- Ability to write compelling proposals/bids/business cases, reports and presentations.
- An understanding of corporate fundraising, major gifts and regular giving.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to clearly convey concepts and inspire others to contribute financially.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to undertake short international project visits with donors and travel around the UK to meet with donors/partners.
- Ability to present confidently to groups of people.
- Financially literate with the ability to produce and understand budgets.
- Well organised with a high level of attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to prioritise own workload, deal with conflicting demands and work under pressure to meet tight deadlines with very little direct supervision.
- The ability to work to a schedule of deliverables where requirements can change.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving skills and methodical research skills with the ability to think creatively and strategically.
- Excellent IT skills including MS Word, Excel, Outlook and Powerpoint.
- Experience of using CRM packages.
- A willingness to work flexibly and proactively to respond to the needs of the charity and supporters.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a team and build strong supportive working relationships.
- A creative, enthusiastic and motivated ‘can-do’ approach with a professional yet friendly manner.
- An empathy with the aims, objectives and activities of Hope for Children.
- Experience working within the international development sector.
- Experience of leading and managing a fundraising department.
- Experience of using Raiser’s Edge and other Blackbaud products.
- Experience of using a CMS, preferably Wordpress or Drupal.
- Full driver’s license and access to a car.
To apply for this position please supply the following information:
- Up-to-date CV
- Supporting statement (up to 2 pages of A4) entitled ‘What makes me perfect for this job’, that explains how you meet the job description and person specification
The closing date for receipt of all applications is Wednesday 4th July 2018 at 5 pm. Interviews will take place on Friday 13th July 2018 in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire.
Please note that Hope for Children’s recruitment and selection policies and procedures reflect our commitment to the safety of children. This appointment is subject to commitment to our Child Safeguarding Policy, the receipt of 3 satisfactory references and an enhanced criminal record disclosure.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.