Sorry, this vacancy is now closed and applications can’t be submitted!
Organization:ECPAT International (ECPAT)
Position title:Business Development Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary: Competitive salary with benefit package (Grade D)
ECPAT International (ECPAT) is a leading global network of civil society organisations working together to end all manifestations of sexual exploitation of children. It seeks to encourage the world community to ensure that children everywhere enjoy their fundamental rights free and secure from all forms of commercial sexual exploitation.
The ECPAT network currently has 107-member organisations in 95 countries across the world. All of these members are independent organisations or coalitions working to end the sexual exploitation of children (SEC). The ECPAT International Secretariat coordinates the global work of the organisation and is based in Bangkok, Thailand. The Secretariat implements global level programmes, and undertakes programming, campaigning, advocacy and research to facilitate a range of network initiatives.
Over the last few years, ECPAT’s budget and income stream levels have been at a fairly stable level between 3.5M and 4M USD. The organisation is dependent in its funding on a small, though highly committed number of mostly institutional donors and foundations. The need for diversification of funding and exploring options for growth have been identified as key priorities. In the current organisational structure, the strategic fundraising tasks are carried out by the Senior Management Team. The Secretariat has recently started to put in place an approach whereby all senior staff have business development as a key responsibility and also directly engage with potential donors. In order to coordinate the business development function, ECPAT International is now seeking to recruit a qualified Business Development Manager.
The Business Development Manager (BDM) will provide strategic leadership on resource mobilisations and lead on new business development creating, identifying and accessing new funding opportunities for ECPAT International. S/he will secure income growth for the organisation from an increasingly diverse funding base.
The BDM works under the direct supervision of the Executive Director and in close cooperation with Senior Management, Senior Programme Staff (Heads and Coordinators) and the Grants Manager. The BDM will also lead on capacity building of current key staff and will help establish a collective business development approach and mind-set throughout the organization.
The BDM in coordination with programme and finance staff will perform the following main tasks:
- Develop an implementation plan for the newly designed Business Development Strategy of ECPAT International and update and amend the strategy as and when appropriate
- Ensure that business development is intrinsically linked to other key functions of the organization, such as Communications, Research, Programming, Campaigns and Advocacy
- Support middle and senior management to develop narrative funding proposals to new and existing donors, and facilitate the development of corresponding budgets
- Focus on financial sustainability of the organisation, and help instil a culture within ECPAT of collective responsibilities and focus on securing income for diverse sources
- In close collaboration with the Grants Manager, coordinate ECPAT’s business development initiatives with existing and prospective donors’ strategic priorities
Capacity Development and business development management
- Build business development capacity of ECPAT and ensure that fundraising is a key priority for everyone; provide technical support (e.g. on proposal development, report writing) where needed
- Support key ECPAT staff to develop high quality reporting; provide training where needed
- Increase efficiency and effectiveness: Together with the Grants Manager, prioritise fundraising opportunities through introducing bid development processes and procedures; provide effective bid project management; advise management and programme on suitability and application guidelines
Strategic Donor & Partner Engagement
- Together with the Executive Director, responsible for managing and building the relationships with ECPAT’s current donors
- Gather donor intelligence and identify new partnerships and funding opportunities; keep donor mapping updated and proactively engage with potential and new donors/partners
- Identify new partnerships for collaboration, e.g. consortia, in order to increase chances to obtain funding; these partnerships could be within the ECPAT network or with partners outside
- Promote awareness of ECPAT’s work among donors in order enhance funding opportunities
Qualifications and Experience Required
- At least 8 years of professional working experience in business development at the international level
- Demonstrable experience and success in engaging with bilateral and multilateral donor agencies, as well as with other potential funding partners (e.g. private sector, foundations, individuals, public and online fundraising; and proven ability to identify new business opportunities and partnerships
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement business development strategies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; fluent in English; Skills in other languages preferred (French, Spanish, Arabic)
- Experience with proposal writing
- Experience of working for NGOs and knowledge of the development/human rights sector at a global level; experience in child rights’ programming and an understanding of the issues surrounding child protection desired.
- Ability to identify and articulate strategic and policy issues through effective oral and written briefs
- Ability to build good working relationships in a multicultural, multilingual and multidisciplinary working environment
- Personal attributes: commitment to EI's mission; strong drive for results; honesty and integrity
- Advanced University Degree in Business Administration, Financial Management, Marketing, Social Sciences or related fields or the equivalent in years of relevant experience.