Sorry, this vacancy is now closed and applications can’t be submitted!
We’re ZSL, an international conservation charity. Our vision is a world where wildlife thrives and we’re working every day to achieve this. From investigating the health threats facing animals, to helping people and wildlife live alongside each other, we are committed to bringing wildlife back from the brink of extinction. Through the work of our pioneering scientists, our dedicated conservationists and our unrivalled animal experts in our two zoos, we guide and enable others in the UK and all across the world. Inspiring, informing, empowering – working for wildlife.
ZSL is seeking a Proposal Development Manager, who will support the Fundraising department in coordinating and securing large-scale funding from international bilateral agencies, trusts and foundations and individuals enabling ZSL to meet its strategic aims. Reporting to the Head of International Fundraising, the post-holder will closely collaborate with colleagues across ZSL (Institute of Zoology and Conservation Programmes & Policy including our overseas teams), plus key cross-society functions such as Finance, to deliver robust strategic proposals and submission of reports in a timely and effective manner. Strong organisational and communication skills, both written and verbal are essential, together with the confidence to represent ZSL and the fundraising team externally and to colleagues across the organisation.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone with a strong track record in delivering successful fundraising proposals looking to further develop their career and work on a variety of interesting projects across the society. You will have exposure to a variety of departments within an international organisation. If you share our passion for supporting a world where wildlife thrives as well as the skill and drive to enabling ZSL to fulfil its strategic aims, then we would love to hear from you.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Co-ordinate all international donor interactions and proposals, being the first point of call for programme teams.
- Produce well researched and evidenced proposals working with relevant teams across ZSL, ensuring the highest standard of proposal is submitted.
- Support the design and implementation of highly effective systems and processes to ensure effective work flows to coordinate proposal development, submission and relationship management.
- Build strong, supportive and culturally-sensitive relationships with teams across ZSL to develop deep understanding of their programme of work and support the development of proposals that match ZSL’s strategic priorities with donor priorities.
Ideally the successful candidate will have:
- A post-graduate degree level qualification in a related field or equivalent work experience.
- Extensive proposal writing and management experience in an international NGO or similar non-profit, overseeing large and diverse funding portfolios from a range of funding sources including bi-lateral and multi-lateral donor agencies.
- In-depth knowledge of grant writing, grant management policies, procedures and best practice, and of the strategic objectives, approaches and compliance requirements of major donors such as international governments, UN and EU agencies, large trusts and philanthropic organisations. Specific knowledge of science and conservation donors is highly desirable.
- Strong track record in fundraising for science and conservation projects commensurate with ZSL’s work
- Demonstrable sound understanding of global biodiversity conservation issues
- Proven ability to draft rigorous fundraising proposals.
- Strong presentation, reporting and communication skills, able to distil complex information in support of project delivery for colleagues from across ZSL, both in the UK and internationally – including for colleagues whose first language is not English.
- Well-developed planning, coordination, and project management skills, with the capacity to organise a workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities.
- Able to operate effectively as part of multicultural, international team, building relationships through a supportive, culturally-aware approach – knowledge of another language would be an advantage.
- A commitment to ZSL’s values and mission to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats.
Please note: This is a full-time (37.5 hours per week), permanent contract position reporting to the Head of International Fundraising. The post will be based at ZSL’s head office in Regents Park. Having a "can do attitude", solution-focused approach and the ability to make objective decisions under pressure will make you a success in this role.
This role offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefits package including 25 days holiday, stakeholder pension where the employer minimum contribution is 7%, complimentary zoo tickets and more.
Applicants will need to upload their CV and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills). Click the "Apply for this job online" button. If you have any queries regarding this position or when applying through the system please contact Human Resources.
Closing date for applications: Midnight (23:59) Sunday 25th November 2018.
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.
ZSL kindly requests no contact from agencies or media sales please regarding this position.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.