Role and Responsibilities
We are seeking a dynamic fundraising individual who can lead, develop and deliver Medair UK’s individual supporter and donor engagement. Working with the Head of Engagement and the rest of the fundraising team, you will help deliver Medair UK’s strategic goals and generate financial support for Medair and its life-saving work assisting some of the world’s most vulnerable people.
To lead, develop and deliver Medair UK’s individual supporter and donor engagement with the aim of generating and growing financial support. Ensuring that Medair UK’s individual supporter and donor activities are aligned with Medair’s UK overarching strategic plan, annual operating plans and the Medair strategy.
Medair UK is an affiliate of the Swiss-based humanitarian organisation, Medair, which brings life-saving relief and recovery to communities devastated by natural disasters, conflicts, and other crises. Together, we work in some of the most remote and difficult places on earth, empowering people to build a better future. Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality.
You will have a proven track record in growing financial support from individuals. You will be a compelling written communicator and have well-developed project management skills. You will be creative and have an understanding of the humanitarian sector, and of what motivates people’s generosity and will be able to use these to engage supporters. You will be inspired by, and in full agreement with, Medair’s Christian values and ethos.
Based in Kennington, South West London
£31,613 per annum
To be discussed, preferably 1st February 2019
Key Activity Areas
Direct Marketing & Fundraising
- Plan and implement Medair UK’s direct marketing programmes and manage its fundraising relationships with mass (one to many) donors:
In collaboration with the Communications and Marketing Manager for the digital components of direct marketing and fundraising activities:
- Expand Medair UK’s digital fundraising and grow the numbers of donors to Medair UK across digital platforms.
- Manage all digital communication with donors relating to e-appeals.
- Develop and execute direct mail fundraising campaigns – with specific focus on both print and e-versions for Medair News and Fund Appeals.
- Prepare and distribute direct mail and marketing activity with donors. Create, write and execute email campaigns, direct mail appeals and other campaigns.
- Act as day-to-day contact with external suppliers, ensuring high quality, accurate, timely delivery of campaigns.
- Generate reports for use in the analysis of fundraising performance.
- Conduct follow-up to sustain and advance relationships with supporters who are potential donors.
- Manage stewardship activities by coordinating routine contact with supporters including email, postal correspondence and phone outreach on a regular basis.
- Manage and improve the supporter journey and convert non-financial supporters into donors.
- Record all communication activities with supporters on the relevant database.
Individual donor acquisitions
- Build and manage internal and external networks to assist in identification, cultivation and solicitation of donors.
- Move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure.
- Increase the number of donors across Medair UK’s digital platforms.
Nurturing and Engaging with existing Donors
- Maintain donor relationships through the development and implementation of appropriate donor journeys.
- Design and prepare all necessary materials to advance donor journeys.
- Convert one-off donors into regular givers.
- Increase gift sizes from existing donors.
- Graduate existing donors towards legacy givers.
- Segment different donor groups and tailor offerings for each group.
- Coordinate a daily gift acknowledgment and thank you process, ensuring that donors receive timely and appropriate communications.
- Record all gift and communication activities with donors on the relevant database.
Tasks common to all staff
- Act as an ambassador for Medair UK at all times when liaising externally and internally.
- Ensure consistent implementation of the Medair brand across all relevant activities.
- Record information as necessary and comply at all times with requirements for handling personal / sensitive data.
- Contribute to the annual planning and budgeting cycle, providing appropriate input from your area of responsibility.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties as requested by line manager.
- Contribute to the general operation and activities of the Medair UK team, attending meetings as required, sharing knowledge and expertise.
- Relevant degree, or some substantial experience in a fundraising role within the charity sector preferably in an international relief organisation, development organisation or Christian agency.
- Professional fundraising qualification, or communication qualification, or marketing qualification desirable.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written)
Experience / Competencies – ESSENTIAL:
- Inspired by, and in full agreement with, Medair’s Christian values and ethos.
- A proven track record in generating engagement and growing financial support through fundraising activity.
- Experience of using a CRM system, ideally Salesforce.
- Substantial experience of planning, implementing and evaluating fundraising activities and campaigns.
- Ability to develop fundraising campaign briefs, write and review fundraising campaign copy and, analyse and provide feedback on fundraising results.
- Understanding of humanitarian issues.
- Ability to build and maintain effective and collaborative relationships internally and externally.
- Willing to contribute to the spiritual life of the team, including prayer meetings.
Experience / Competencies – DESIRABLE:
- Experience in, or links with, potentially supportive individuals, organisations, or networks.
- Experience of international relief or development work.
- Experience of using Salesforce.
- This is a position based in Kennington, SW London with possible UK and international travel.
- Willingness to be flexible in terms of hours worked at occasional, but inevitable moments of crisis and opportunity, particularly evening and weekends.
- Only those eligible to work in the UK can apply.
Please email a covering letter (maximum of two pages) explaining your motivation for applying and your proven aptitude for the role, together with your CV, by 10am on Monday 10th December 2018, with the email title “Application for Engagement Officer – Individuals”. Please also state where you saw the job advertised.
NOTE: In order to maintain the organisation’s Christian ethos, there is a genuine occupational requirement for the holder of this Medair UK position to be a committed Christian.
You can follow us on Facebook , Twitter , or LinkedIn .