Sorry, this vacancy is now closed and applications can’t be submitted!
Position Status Full-time, Permanent
Salary Level circa £30 – 32k, depending on experience
Reporting to Fundraising Manager
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organisation powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In conflict, in disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps Europe (MCE) has grown rapidly in terms of volume of activity and complexity. With offices in Edinburgh, London and Geneva, we now attract over £90m in income, and employ around 100 domestic and expatriate field team members. The breadth and impact of our programmes makes Mercy Corps a unique and truly rewarding place to work. Our teams are proud of what we achieve in the field and we are always looking for talented individuals who share our passion and commitment.
The Fundraising team plays a key role in Mercy Corps, generating income and raising our profile. MCE’s Fundraising team has ambitious goals to increase private fundraising across the UK and continental Europe to support our agency goals around humanitarian aid, development and peacebuilding.
Reporting to the Senior Fundraising Manager, the Fundraising Operations Manager will lead and manage the fundraising operations team (Edinburgh based) and have overall responsibility for the database management of all donations. S/he will be responsible for driving and providing accurate segmented data selections, campaign analysis, ensuring the efficient processing of Gift Aid Claims and a variety of income.
We are looking for an ambitious fundraising professional, with solid experience in managing databases, who is interested in a career in the NGO sector. This is an opportunity to be involved in fundraising work that is fast-paced, and to be part of a diverse, dedicated team of people who are genuinely motivated by making a difference. You will be someone with a positive, can-do approach, who enjoys the pressure of working together as a team to tight deadlines.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Lead and have overall responsibility for database management (Raiser's Edge).
- Devise database processes and procedures
- Write and maintain process notes
- Devise and deliver internal training on the database
- Oversee daily gift processing and acknowledgement
SELECTION BRIEFS AND DATA SELECTIONS
- Support the Fundraising Officer to produce targeted selections for mailings, emails etc
Budgeting and Reporting
- Hold budgetary and spending approval for MCE Fundraising Operations
- Manage the invoicing process
- Provide regular reports as required, analysing, evaluating, and making recommendations for future activity.
- Manage the Fundraising Operations Team (Officer and Assistant) incoming work and schedules
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives. Manage work plans, workloads and performance, with regular reviews.
- Supervise, hire and orient new team members as necessary.
Influence & Representation
- Personally present MCE to a wide range of external stakeholders, including marketing agencies and other partners in a professional way. Support the existing team so they are able to represent MCE to donors and the general public, dealing successfully with enquiries and providing pertinent information.
- Lead MCE's representation on all direct marketing and community leadership groups.
- Lead on fundraising risk register responsibilities.
- Liaise with external suppliers and maintain effective relationships.
- Primary point of contact in Fundraising for the Finance team
- Remain up to date with Data Protection Regulations, Fundraising Regulator Legislation and GDPR Legislation and ensure teams compliance
The successful candidate will not only have the right experience on paper but also be someone who lives and breathes our culture and values, with a visible passion for the work we do and a desire to tell our story.
- As part of our commitment to organisational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organisations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge and Experience
- Demonstrable experience (at least 4 years) of managing a fundraising or similar CRM or relational database (with substantial volume of records and variety of interactions) for marketing, engagement and/or fundraising to input data, extract reports and conduct analysis. Experience of the Raiser’s Edge would be an advantage but is not essential.
- Comprehensive knowledge of, MS Excel, MS Access or other data manipulation packages.
- Experience of managing and producing selection briefs, and running data segmentation and data selection for mailing, telemarketing and e-mail campaigns.
- Experience of cleaning, manipulating and importing data to be used in mass market communications.
- Solid experience of reporting on performance measures and the ability to interpret results and use this data to conduct direct marketing tests and learn from the outcomes.
- Experience of providing training and support on a database
- Detailed, practical knowledge and understanding of the GDPR and Data Protection legislation.
- Experience of managing staff.
- Project management experience (desirable).
- Experience of processing gifts and Gift Aid (desirable).
- Excellent communication skills, written, visual and verbal, including demonstrated ability to promote awareness of Mercy Corps and the work we do.
- A strong eye for detail.
- Ability to manage and deliver complex projects involving multiple partners to deadline.
- Demonstrable research or analysis skills.
- Able to build and maintain effective internal and external relationships. Strong team worker.
- Able to cope with changing priorities, often at short notice, and work well under pressure.
- Proactive and solutions-based attitude.
- High levels of motivation, professionalism and resilience.
- Skilled in anticipating and solving problems and communicating issues, involving others as needed.
- An exposure to and interest in international development issues is important, along with an empathy for MC's mission.
The position is based in Edinburgh and may require some minimal travel.
MCE team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all Mercy Corps locations.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.
Candidates must have the right to work in the UK at the time of appointment.
Applications should be submitted by CV and cover letter prior to the closing date of 16 Janurary 2019. For more information and to apply, please see the role on our careers site.