Sorry, this vacancy is now closed and applications can’t be submitted!
Media and Communications Officer
London, SW8 (with occasional travel to sites within the UK)
Are you a communications, PR or media professional looking to do something amazing with your career? Are you passionate about changing children and young people’s lives? If so, read on.
The National Literacy Trust is a national charity dedicated to raising literacy levels in the UK. We run projects in the poorest communities, campaign to make literacy a priority for politicians and parents, and support schools. Our mission is to give young people the literacy skills they need to get a job and lead a successful life.
One person in six in the UK has poor literacy skills that impact on every area of their life. A child without good reading, writing and communication skills can’t succeed at school, and as an adult they could be locked out of the job market. Poverty doubles the likelihood of literacy failure by the age of five.
We are now looking for a Media and Communications Officer to join us in London.
- Salary of £28,000 per annum
- Pension scheme
- Travel expenses
- Develop your career with an ambitious organisation
- 28 days’ holiday plus Bank Holidays and a Christmas closure
This is a fantastic opportunity to increase the profile of a forward-thinking charity that gives disadvantaged children the literacy skills they need to succeed in life.
You will have the chance to contribute to the charity’s success by increasing awareness of our cause, driving forward our campaigns and growing support for our work.
So, if you’d like to join a team of friendly, creative and experienced communications professionals who are passionate about changing children’s lives through literacy, we want to hear from you.
As a Media and Communications Officer, you will perform a range of media relations and communications activities to increase the National Literacy Trust’s profile.
In this key role, you’ll build relations across the national, local and education sector press and produce a range of content for our website, social media channels, marketing materials and internal communications.
Your duties will involve:
- Leading media and communications activities for our school programmes and fundraising events
- Reaching target demographics and communities with literacy messaging
- Identifying opportunities for positive media coverage
- Writing and distributing press releases
- Evaluating and monitoring press coverage
To join us as a Media and Communications Officer, you’ll need experience of the following:
- Working as a Media Officer
- Communications, PR and/or media
- Planning, implementing and evaluating media campaigns
- Working with journalists to secure positive regional and national media coverage
- Liaising with beneficiaries and using case studies to secure positive media coverage
- Writing for different audiences and contexts and proofreading
- Interpreting and identifying strong media and/or news angles from research reports
- Social media, search engine optimisation (SEO) and content management systems
Knowledge of the education sector would be beneficial to your application.
Other organisations may call this role Communications Executive, Public Relations Officer, PR Officer, Marketing Executive, Marketing Communications Executive, Media Communications Officer, Marketing and Events Executive or Media Officer.
The postholder will adhere to the National Literacy Trust’s safeguarding policy for children, young people and vulnerable adults. This post is also subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service check.
The National Literacy Trust is committed to being an equal opportunities employer and aims to ensure that no job applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, ethnicity or religion.
So, if you are seeking your next step as a Media and Communications Officer, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Working hours: 35 hours per week