Sorry, this vacancy is now closed and applications can’t be submitted!
The Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) seeks a Manager, Regions to join us on a full-time (35 hours) or part-time (minimum 28 hours) temporary (maternity cover) basis. You can be based at our Cambridge or London office or home-based in the UK, and will travel within the UK and Ireland. You will occasionally work on weekends and during non-core working hours, with some scope for flexible working, to meet needs.
The Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) is the largest non-government supporter of chemistry education in the UK, and we reach millions of people every year through media and public outreach. Our activities encompass formal and informal education from primary science in schools through preparing for your next career move. We believe that everyone should have access to a high quality chemistry education that is engaging, inspiring and relevant.
Position: Manager, Regions
Location: City Cambridge, Burlington House, London or home-based in the UK
Job type: Full & Part time, Temporary Contract Maternity Cover (Flexible working considered)
Salary: £51,787 to £57,542 per annum plus benefits
Benefits: Excellent contributory pension scheme, generous paid holidays, 35-hour (for full-time staff) working week, learning and career development, subsidised staff restaurant (Cambridge office), staff sports and social club, free private healthcare plan, income protection scheme, critical illness insurance, life assurance, free on-site parking (Cambridge office), season ticket, car/motor cycle and cycle to work schemes, membership subscription, employee assistance programme, eye-care at work scheme, wellness initiatives, flexible work environment, employee recognition, long service awards, membership subscription to professional body and RSC, two discounted staff flats on-site (Cambridge office) and more.
Closing Date: 15 September 2019
About the role:
As Manager, Regions you will work with teams across the RSC, and will oversee the delivery of our activities supporting engagement with chemistry and our networks from a local and national perspective. You will also be responsible for a budget of approximately £800k (mainly staff), with £50k signing authority.
The team includes approximately six direct reports, plus up to 18 FTEs employed directly by the RSC or via contracts with partner organisations. You will call with RSC Programme Managers, Education Coordinators and contractors, meet stakeholders and attend events, especially in:
- North of England and the Midlands
- South of England
- Wales and South West England
- Proven strategic leadership and management skills.
- A science degree is essential, ideally in chemical science.
- Demonstrable knowledge of primary, secondary and tertiary education systems, policy and practice in the UK is essential, and an appreciation of international variations.
- Proven ability to work effectively as a member of diverse cross-functional teams in a complex environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, critical judgement, resilience, and composure under pressure.
- Proven ability to build and maintain internal and external relationships and people.
- Excellent project and time management skills including the ability to plan and prioritise work, and to meet deadlines.
- Confident with negotiating and managing contracts.
- Highly customer focused with experience of developing a wide range of products and services.
- Creative approach to problem-solving.
- Demonstrable ability to generate and critically evaluate ideas.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas to different audiences on various levels.
The Royal Society of Chemistry is a great organisation to work for and offers excellent benefits.
If interested, please apply before the end of our closing date.
You may have experience of the following: Strategy Manager, Head of Strategy, Programme Manager, Programme Management, Project Manager, Project Management, Business Manager, Operations Manager, Service Manager, etc.