Sorry, this vacancy is now closed and applications can’t be submitted!
Whatever our wonderful supporters want to achieve for Guts UK, you will be their safe, supportive pair of hands. And most of all you will love it when you finally meet the triumphant supporter at their finishing line, full of pride and joy at their achievement. This is what fuels you as a fundraiser.
Guts UK’s vision is of a world where digestive disorders are better understood, better treated and everyone who lives with one gets the support they need.It is an exciting time to join us. We are a small but committed and passionate team working out of two offices in London and Yorkshire. Guts UK is ready to put digestive health on the map. We are looking for new colleagues who can see the size of our ambition, share our vision and who are ready to use their experience, skills and energy in achieving a high level of income that will enable this transformation to happen. Could that be you?
We are now focusing on the recruitment of an experienced Events and Community Fundraiser to help us develop our portfolio of opportunities for supporters. You will already know the charity event marketplace well and will be able to see the potential for Guts UK.
When people find a charity they are passionate about, they want to belong. You will be the kind of fundraiser who relishes the opportunity to build the relationship, instantly recognising and reacting to their desire to belong. You will need to know how to connect and be adept at building relationships utilising all forms of social media equally as well as good old-fashioned telephone calls. You will be brilliant at detail and data, and will have an understanding that the small, personal touches truly count. You will be an energetic individual and an enthusiastic lead for the whole team come event time, ensuring everyone and everything is prepared so that our supporters can do their best for Guts UK come the race, run, ride, Tough Mudder or swim.
It goes without saying that you must be able to demonstrate empathy with our cause in your daily work but the ideal candidate to join our team is one who has a genuine interest or connection to digestive health. This drives growth in your role and always shines through to supporters.
- Work in conjunction with the CEO to develop and implement the Guts UK Community and Events Fundraising Strategy to grow income streams
- Develop a stand-out Guts UK community fundraising programme, identify and cultivate relationships with key supporters, stakeholders, suppliers and their networks to maximise value from their events, activities and contacts
- Maximise Guts UK’s participation, portfolio and net proceeds from mass participation challenge events, identifying and introducing new events to the charity’s fundraising calendar
- Take the lead on identifying and recruiting fundraising supporters and sponsors
- Act as the first point of contact between potential supporters and the charity, be confident in engaging and motivating enquirers to become active supporters
- Working closely with the Fundraising Administrator deliver exemplary donor and supporter stewardship to achieve supporter retention
- Encourage and enable supporters to meet their fundraising aims, by promoting events, providing support and guidance, resources and materials
- Publish and celebrate our fundraisers’ successes through PR and social media to encourage greater uptake.
- Take full responsibility for maintaining accurate and up to date records on the charity’s database (RE NXT) including report writing and analysis
- Be an ambassador and speaker for Guts UK
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Build excellent relationships with supporters, finding out their motivations for supporting us and empowering them to raise money in the way they want to grow income for Guts UK.
- Provide community supporters with fundraising materials and promotion to maximise their events or activities
- Develop, constantly update and provide key Guts UK materials needed to promote events and run fundraising campaigns and events, keeping track of merchandise and promotional materials
- Develop relationships at national, regional and local levels with community groups, organisations and businesses to recruit new donors and supporters and to encourage fundraising
- Focus proactively on building an ‘M62 Gut Club’ establishing reciprocal community support via clinics and hospitals reaching new audiences, raising the profile of Guts UK within the local areas and recruiting new donors and fundraisers
- Ensure that fundraising activity is implemented and managed locally and cost-effectively by leading the development of groups and volunteers across the region
- Monitor all fundraising activities from conception to completion and ensure they comply with the Fundraising Regulator Codes of Practice
- Identify existing and new national, regional and local mass participation events that Guts UK can and should access such as runs, cycle events
- Build a plan and budget for these events to maximise net gain for the charity, focused on proactive recruitment, not dependent on just our existing database but identifying and recruiting from new audiences
- Meet agreed targets for events, both individual events held by supporters and events where places are purchased by the charity and ROI needs to be optimised, such as Yorkshire Marathon, London Marathon, Ride London and Great North Run
- Attend all key events with Guts UK Teams, lead on all organisation and be able to physically lift Guts UK materials as needed
- Represent the charity at key events hosted by community and corporate supporters to ensure participants are well supported and appreciated on the day
- Work to strict deadlines to ensure that fundraising activity is widely promoted and the success of fundraisers is celebrated to encourage greater take-up of fundraising activities
- Showcase the work of the charity, speaking confidently at events about our work to connect fundraisers to our cause and encourage fundraising
- Analyse outcomes of fundraising events against targets and for continuous improvement
- Create and promote fundraising events and community initiatives in the press, via our website and across all digital and social media for the recruitment of new supporters and to raise awareness of Guts UK
- Create and contribute fundraising content including stories, images and quotes for email newsletters and marketing campaigns
- Ensure online giving pages and social media channels are fully utilised by supporters and income from them are accurately reported
- Project Guts UK positively, clearly, accurately and ‘on message’ in all written and spoken communication
- Maintain, develop and update the charity’s fundraising section of the website
- Be responsible for coordinating with external organisers and suppliers to ensure appropriate publicity materials are sourced for events
- Participate in the day to day work of the organisation such as reporting, attending meetings as required, and taking a flexible approach to general administrative and support tasks
- Support and train colleagues with answering fundraising phone calls and enquiries
- Attend events to present and promote the work of the Guts UK to potential supporters
- Participate in staff training and appraisals for the role
- Accept any other reasonable request commensurate with the role of Events and Community Fundraiser
Person Specification (all criteria are essential unless otherwise indicated)
Demonstrate experience in:
- Leading and growing regional community fundraising
- Delivering successful fundraising events and activities within community and events programmes, preferably in a medical research charities
- Effective marketing campaigns
- Building successful relationships with all types of donors and supporters
- Generating and implementing fundraising ideas
- Public-speaking, giving presentations and talking and networking at events
- Using a database from inputting, day to day maintenance and interrogation through to report writing, list selection, data analysis and GDPR legal compliance
- Be an excellent communicator with strong persuasive skills, both verbally and in writing. Confident in face to face meetings as well as giving presentations and talks to a wide variety of audiences.
- Demonstrate an ability to manage and motivate yourself, whilst still working collaboratively with colleagues across two offices or remotely.
- Be capable in and commitment to digital communication channels
- Be data driven and committed to data integrity maintaining records of all results versus targets, income and expenditure, trend analysis, risk and opportunity monitoring
- Have the ability to juggle competing priorities
Attributes and Approach
- Enthusiastic, energetic, driven to succeed with a professional and passionate approach to your work
- Flexible, tenacious and resilient with a positive attitude.
- Thrive on achieving targets.
- Innovative, creative, able to identify and act on new opportunities
- Genuine interest in our cause that motivates and inspires
- Proactive self-starter, can work alone or as part of a team
- Degree level is desirable though not essential. A’Levels or equivalent as a minimum.
- Up to date knowledge of charity law, fundraising practice and actively engaged with national fundraising marketplace
- Thorough knowledge of and active user of IT (MS Office), Wordpress website management, and all social media platforms
- Knowledge of Institute of Fundraising Codes of Fundraising Practice and legal framework of event management and fundraising ethics (including GDPR and tax effective giving)
- A current membership of the Institute of Fundraising is desirable
- Be willing to work in a small (but growing) team, often virtually across two offices
- Able and willing to work flexibly and outside ‘office hours’, evenings and weekends when required with some occasional overnight stays
- Able and willing to travel to London base and nationwide to events as required
- A full UK driving licence is desirable though not essential
Guts UK reserves the right to alter the content of this job description, after consultation to reflect changes to the job or services provided without altering the general character or level of responsibility. The above list of responsibilities is not exhaustive and may change to meet the needs of the organisation.
If you have a disability which means you are unable to meet some of the job requirements, specifically, because of your disability, please address this in your application. If you meet all the other criteria, you will be shortlisted and we will explore jointly with you if there are ways in which the job can be changed to enable you to meet the requirements.
You must be eligible to work in the UK at the time of application. If you are invited to interview, you will be asked to bring the original documentation that proves your right to work in the UK.
We look forward to hearing from you.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.