We are looking for a Legacy Officer to join our growing fundraising team at The Gurkha Welfare Trust.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the management and administration of all legacy bequests, ensuring that the Trust receives its full entitlement in a timely manner, whilst protecting the Trust’s reputation. The Legacy Officer reports to the Individual Giving Manager. Full training for the role will be provided as well as support from a dedicated consultant.
- Manage the Trust’s legacy caseload including pecuniary and residuary legacies.
- Ensure that The Gurkha Welfare Trust receives its full entitlement in accordance with the law and the provisions of all Will/Codicils, any Deed of Variation or settlement agreement.
- Respond to incoming enquiries by telephone and email, ensuring the legacy case files and database are updated accordingly.
- Ensure all open legacy case files are reviewed on a regular basis, and appropriate action is taken to move cases through to conclusion.
- Work in partnership with the Trust’s professional legal on accounts and ensure that residual legacies have been administered correctly to include the allocation of capital gains tax and inheritance tax.
- Ensure legacies are allocated in restricted and unrestricted funds in accordance with the Will.
- Work with the fundraising team to ensure messaging and materials are optimised to promote and boost revenue from legacies.
- Source and form effective partnerships with organisations such as solicitors to help grow revenue.
- Contribute to developing and implementing legacy campaigns to boost legacy pledges and enquiries across our supporter base.
- Manage the legacy messaging and ensure its use across the Trust’s channels.
- Manage legacy pledger and enquirer communications to ensure supporters are updated in a manner they have requested.
Key Skills, Qualifications and Knowledge, and Personal Attributes
Applicants for this position should be able to satisfy the following criteria:
- An enthusiastic relationships builder with the ability to work across departments and with stakeholders of all levels
- An accomplished administrator with a good and sympathetic writing style
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Can demonstrate a good knowledge of marketing to or communicating with wide audiences
- IT literate, to include a thorough understanding of Microsoft Office and its various applications and administrative functions
- Experience of working in a charity environment
- Legacy administration experience (desirable)
- Previous database or CRM experience (desirable)
- Understanding of the work of The Gurkha Welfare Trust.
If you have any questions over the job description or terms and conditions, please get in touch with us.
Please note we may close this vacancy when sufficient applications have been received.
If you would like to apply for this position, please send your CV and supporting statement addressing the person specification.