“Enter The House of St Barnabas - A public-minded private members’ club in London is demolishing stereotypes” – Dazed and Confused
Our mission is to break the cycle of homelessness.
We deliver our mission through our Employment Academy, through which participants experience a holistic programme of long-term support, helping them secure good work, a good home and a good network. When this programme is in progress, participants take on work experience throughout the House, in the club spaces and in our offices. The HoSB team act as professional buddies to those in office-based roles, working closely with them to provide skills training and to set a positive example of ways of working. This one to one support throughout the programme, and our wider club community of members and supporters, provides a supportive environment in which our participants can challenge themselves to change their lives.
Underpinning our Employment Academy is our vibrant member’s club based in our grade 1 listed building, right in the heart of Soho. Our member’s club further deepens our impact by:
• Providing a network for our participants of supportive mentors, employers and friends
• Offering a training ground for those returning to work through real-world work placements in hospitality and office-based roles
• Convening creative conversations across sectors and disciplines working to break the cycle of homelessness
We fund our work through the profit we make from membership and private hire, combined and matched with fundraising.
In order for our model to work, we aim to run an outstanding private members club; bringing together a diverse community of creative people who care about social change. We want them to experience high quality food and drink, a personalised service and an engaging offer of culture and events that entertain and enlighten.
We have exciting plans for the future. We intend to create a new entry point for those already in work but who want to progress from a first job after homelessness to “good work”, with better pay, more regular hours and better prospects for promotion, and we intend to increase provision through our accommodation pathway. To do this we will need to grow our commercial income from both the club and private hire (including a potential building development project). We also want to better use the skills and connections of our community of members and supporters in pursuit of our aims.
We are looking for a proven and commercial fundraiser to develop and implement our income strategy and strengthen our income forecasting systems. You will be joining us at an exciting time, with a new CEO in place and an ambitious five-year strategy. This is a unique business, with a focus on entrepreneurialism amongst the team to drive both charitable and commercial income ambitions. Despite the short-term challenge of Coronavirus, we aim to grow our income from £2.1m to £3m by 2025, in order to underpin our strategic ambition. You will work closely with senior staff and colleagues across the organisation to build on our current fundraising and earned income track record and maximise and manage this income growth. You will lead a small and talented team and have the opportunity to shape and develop their skills. Specific responsibilities include:
· Develop a sustainable income strategy across earned and fundraised income stream
· Grow our Fundraised Income
- Build and deliver a strong Trusts & Foundations pipeline, growing our Trusts & Foundation income over three years (19-20: £400k)
- Build on our Corporate membership and sponsorship programme (19-20: £85k)
- Consolidate and grow our individual giving programme (19-20: £160k)
- Build a Major Donor Programme (19-20: £40k)
- Identify and explore new income streams that support our strategy
- Scope and deliver a major capital appeal (to commence 2022)
· Consolidate and manage our Private Hire income
- Oversee private hire income of c£400k per year
- Evolve our private hire strategy and pricing structure as required, create innovative solutions to navigate a COVID landscape, with an increase in private hire and a decrease in larger events and drinks receptions
- Work with our membership and club teams to ensure private hire income targets are balanced with member experience and mission
- Lead on new wedding strategy to bring bespoke events to the house
· Establish and maintain income forecasting systems
- Build and maintain robust systems to manage income risk
- Work closely with our Head of Finance to accurately forecast and review all income streams monthly
· Develop new and maintain corporate partnerships
- Create a strategic plan to grow corporate partnerships and maintain existing client relationships
- Lead on client relationships to build innovative projects that help to profile the work that we do and add value to the organisation
- Support with corporate comms and membership strategy to ensure that clients are well serviced
· Play a leadership role in the House as a member of our Management Team
- Lead and develop your direct reports to become a high performing team
- Plan and budget aligned to our annual cycle
- Foster and encourage collaboration across the House of St Barnabas
- Present and report to the Board of Trustees as required
- Act as an ambassador for the House of St Barnabas with stakeholders
- Comply with HoSB health and safety, safeguarding and compliance policies
- Role model HoSB values and ways of working across The House of St Barnabas
Although this role sits within the Engagement team, all staff contribute to the delivery of the overall strategy. In addition to your specific role responsibilities you are expected to contribute to the whole House culture and to work in line with our values: Encouraging, Creative, Fair and Inclusive. We value collaboration across the organisation and at times you will be required to carry out duties to support and compliment other teams’ goals.
· A track record of growing fundraised income across Trusts and Foundations, Corporates, Major Donors and Individual Giving to in excess of £1m per annum
· A track record of managing earned income and driving earned income growth in excess of £100k per annum
· Proven ability to establish and maintain income forecasting systems
· Outstanding communication and written skills
· Proven track record in developing new corporate partnerships, with examples of how you have built relationships or grown income with a commercial focus
· Up to date knowledge of fundraising best practice and regulation, including GDPR
· Ability to nurture and develop junior talent into high performing fundraisers
· A passion for our mission and model
· Strong commitment to diversity and inclusion
· Able to work on own initiative without high levels of supervision
· Able to critically evaluate and reflect on own performance
· Comfortable using and adapting to new technology
· Reliable, with a willingness to work flexibly and work outside of office hours
· Experience of managing event spaces or private hire
· Experience of managing a significant capital appeal
· Experience of balancing commercial imperative with delivering mission
What we can do for you – why working with us is great
· 33 days per annum holiday (including Bank Holidays)
· 35 hour working week
· Flexible working in line with business needs, with core hours between 10:00 – 16:00
· Half a day extra leave for your birthday so you can celebrate in style
· Autoenrollment into pension
· Attending our amazing graduation ceremonies
Please send a CV and covering letter (maximum 2 sides of A4) outlining how you meet the requirement of the person specification.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.