Sorry, this vacancy is now closed and applications can’t be submitted!
This is an exciting opportunity to join BSR at the beginning of our new three year strategy. We are looking for someone to help shape our membership engagement activities and deliver what our members need. It is a brand new role so would suit someone who enjoys creating and implementing new ideas, and working in collaboration with members, stakeholders and colleagues to deliver our strategic aims.
British Society for Rheumatology
The British Society for Rheumatology (BSR) is a UK wide membership organisation for health professionals in rheumatology. The BSR works to promote excellence in the care of people with rheumatic and musculoskeletal disorders and to support those delivering it involving patients and carers at every step. The BSR works to ensure that physicians and clinicians are educated and trained to provide high quality care. Our membership consists of clinicians looking after the whole of life, from children to adults and across the whole patient pathway.
BSR is looking for a Membership Engagement Manager to develop and implement a programme of member engagement activities to increase member recruitment and retention, with a specific focus on our thirteen English regions.
Reporting to the Head of Operations & Membership, the post-holder will lead on recruitment of new members within the regions and will represent BSR at key stakeholder events to further strengthen relationships with our members. They will work closely with the Devolved Nations Liaison Officer to ensure that our approach to member engagement is collaborative and consistent.
- Under the supervision of the Head of Operations & Membership and working with the Membership & Marketing Coordinator and Devolved Nations Liaison Officer, develop and deliver a membership engagement plan for the thirteen English regions, ensuring efficient use of resources and drawing on support from within the membership network, particularly the Regional Chairs.
- Work with the thirteen regional chairs to deliver their regional meetings, ensuring that BSR is represented at each one and that support is provided where necessary. Lead on the dissemination of information from these meetings where appropriate, through the use of online and other tools, including the regional forum.
- Support the Head of Operations & Membership in the development, delivery and evaluation of the membership strategy focusing on both short and long-term membership recruitment and retention targets.
- Secure sustainable engagement by increasing levels of participation in BSR’s committee structure through the development and delivery of a succession planning strategy in collaboration with the Governance Manager.
- Develop an understanding of the specialist interests and skills of regional members to help find conference speakers from different parts of the country, encouraging abstracts submissions to our conferences, best practice award entries, etc.
- Achieve an excellent understanding of the Rheumatology specialty workforce to develop targeted recruitment drives to potential members.
- Support BSR’s project to promote rheumatology as a career including developing the BSR taster days and attendance at local careers fairs.
- Develop productive working relationships with other membership bodies to establish what other membership recruitment opportunities might exist.
Marketing and Communications
- Working with the Membership & Marketing Coordinator, develop a suite of marketing materials to support engagement with potential members, in line with the membership strategy and action plan, to ensure the messages resonate with our regional audiences.
- Representing BSR at regional meetings and other stakeholder events, securing speaking slots through relevant channels and conferences in the regions in order to raise the profile of BSR, building rapport with our partner organisations, and attracting new members.
- Ensuring regional input is provided into our communications so that we are aware of issues around the country, championing best practice, providing content, and highlighting potential campaign or policy issues
- Providing regular feedback to relevant colleagues on members’ experiences and needs in order to enable changes in strategy and communication to meet BSR’s long-term objectives.
- Working with the Head of Operations & Membership, Membership & Marketing Coordinator and Devolved Nations Liaison Officer, deliver the total membership income target of £390,000.
- Manage the membership engagement budget
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Experience in working at management or equivalent level in a membership association or professional body
- Experience of developing membership engagement strategy and supporting activities. Able to quickly gain an understanding of a profession and keep up to date with the concerns it faces
- Relationship building / confident in attending external meetings and events / presentation skills
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written and the ability to communicate with a variety of audiences.
- Experience in working with Microsoft Dynamics 365
- Conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; shows persistence when faced with problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Works with initiative and enthusiasm to deliver high-quality work.
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve BSR’s strategic goals.
- Willingness to travel frequently and to carry out administrative tasks.
This role will be based in London. Travel across England and the devolved nations to attend meetings and events will form part of the role.
Reports to: Head of Operations & Membership
Line management: Membership & Marketing Co-ordinator
Inclusion & diversity statement
BSR is committed to encouraging inclusion, equality and diversity among our workforce, and eliminating unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation by complying with the Equality Act 2010.
We want a working environment free of all of the above, where individual differences and the contributions of all staff are recognised and valued.
To do this, we will proactively tackle discrimination and disadvantage and ensure that no individual or group is directly or indirectly discriminated against for any reason.
Leadership - We drive excellence in rheumatology care
Collaboration - We listen, we learn, we improve
Openness - We are inclusive and accessible
Celebratory - We support and celebrate success
How to apply:
Please send us a CV and covering letter outlining how you meet the requirements for this role.