Sorry, this vacancy is now closed and applications can’t be submitted!
Reporting to: Chief Executive
Job Role: Develop a fundraising programme to include development of UKAHT’s membership.
The successful candidate will be a well-rounded fundraiser with experience across a wide variety of fundraising sources that match the ambitions of the charity. A passion for heritage, environment and culture is essential - as is cultivating close and attentive relationships with supporters. We are looking for a collaborative worker who can roll-up their sleeves and enable the whole team to become fundraisers in their different capacities.
- You are passionate about Antarctica, cultural heritage, public engagement and inspiring young people about the future of this fascinating continent.
- You feel confident representing the organisation to a variety of stakeholders, and creating bespoke cases for support for each audience.
- You are an experienced fundraiser, with a successful track record of helping charitable organisations to attract and grow income and funding from a wide range of public and private sources.
- You are entrepreneurial, ambitious but practical in your approach to fundraising and appreciate the balance of skills and requirements that this discipline requires.
- You are a proactive networker and collaborator.
- You are a strong communicator - able to identify and build effective relationships across all stakeholder groups and at all levels of seniority.
EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE (essentials and desirables)
Proven experience of securing significant funding from a variety of sources, including high net worth individuals, corporates, trusts, and foundations, and through face to face negotiations
Track record of success fundraising and cultivation of donors for campaigns of £250,000+
Track record of designing and implementing development strategies, including revenue and capital fundraising activities
Experience of budget development and management, and an understanding of management accounts
Proven ability to manage and grow a list of active and significant donors
Knowledge of relevant charity and tax laws
Experience of fundraising for arts, environment or education causes
Extensive networks and existing relationships with public bodies, trust and foundations, businesses, and philanthropists
Experience of working with high net worth individuals and senior volunteer boards
SKILLS, ABILITIES AND ATTITUDES (essentials and desirables)
Ability to inspire and motivate colleagues to create an effective and efficient department focused on successful income generating initiatives
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to engage a wide range of people
High attention to detail, particularly regarding written work, budget and event planning
Excellent influencing, negotiation, and diplomacy skills
Ability to think and operate strategically and provide flexible solutions
Able to deliver to demanding deadlines and with a hands-on approach
Good IT skills including databases
Ability to self-motivate, work as part of a small team, and support colleagues
Confident, resilient, and resourceful
A commitment to excellence and professionalism
Appreciation of and support for the aims and ethos of UKAHT
- Leading and managing fundraising activity across the organisation, ensuring that colleagues are alerted to relevant opportunities in their business areas and working with them to develop and curate effective relationships with funders, donors, partners and clients in a proactive and methodical manner.
- Leading in delivering new fundraising and projects, including time-bound campaigns and new creative initiatives to grow income sustainably and ensure that the organisation follows appropriate internal and external applications and reporting timeframes and processes.
- Supporting colleagues in drafting correspondence and documentation, such as reports, briefings, applications, presentations, or other communication items to support development activity.
- Designing and implementing systems to identify and assess relevant opportunities.
- Developing and managing effective policies and procedures in line with best practice in the sector.
- Ensuring income generation activity is produced, filed, and archived in a systematic and efficient way, for all research, contracts, reports, and other records relating to fundraising.
- Managing development budgets and other related resources.
- Deliver a successful income generation plan that enables the delivery of UKAHT’s strategic plans and has the support of the CEO and Chair of the Board of Trustees.
- Lead fundraising activities across cultivation events, stakeholder management, sponsorship, individual giving, legacies, and capital projects.
- Develop and maintain productive and positive relationships with Trustees and Ambassadors.
- Support the development of UKAHT’s business plan.
- Represent UKAHT at internal and external networking opportunities, developing existing and new donor relationships, and deputise for the CEO where necessary.
FUNDRAISING AND ADVOCACY
- Be personally accountable for successful generation of major income to support programmes and the delivery of the ongoing strategy, agreeing fundraising targets with the Director and regularly reporting on progress.
- Set and achieve fundraising targets, showing year on year growth in activity and results.
- Manage and motivate directly or indirectly effective use of the Chair, Trustees, and Ambassadors for cultivating prospects and developing projects.
- Develop and maintain UKAHT’s relationships with funders, including major donors, trusts and foundations, corporate partners, and statutory bodies.
- Develop and maintain supporter schemes, including introduction of a legacy group.
- Have responsibility for development events, including private views and patrons’ programmes, ensuring high standards of donor care are maintained.
- Keep appraised of latest developments in the sector.
- Work closely with the Digital Engagement Manager to maximise case for support messaging, develop advocacy materials, undertake successful digital campaigns.
- Ensure accurate and appropriate accreditation of supporters, sponsors, and partners.
- Produce reports for and make presentations to the Board of Trustees, as necessary.
- Ensure supporters are reported to in an appropriate and timely fashion.
- Manage development budgets and prepare financial data.
- Support the maintenance of an accurate database.
- Carry out any other duties as deemed appropriate by the CEO.
UKAHT is committed to providing excellent terms and conditions of employment for all employees.
Pre-COVID this role was based in the UKAHT office in Cambridge:
High Cross, Madingley Road, Cambridge, CB3 0ET. However, as we adjust to a COVID world we envisage a flexible blend of homeworking with some office-based work.
Salary: £38,000-£40,000 pro rota + benefits
Working Hours: 3 or 4 days a week (working week 37.5 hours) with potential for full time in the future
Holidays: 25 days per year pro rota of paid leave plus the usual public holidays.
Expenses: All reasonable travel costs incurred as part of the role will be reimbursed as per UKAHT policy
Benefits: UKAHT operates a contributory pension scheme into which you will be enrolled.
Probationary period: The appointment will be subject to a six month probationary period
Notice period: Upon completion of the probationary period the period of notice will be two months by either party.
UKAHT is committed to equal opportunities and to learning how to increase the diversity of our people. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons and encourage applications from people currently underrepresented in the Polar regions, including women in senior leadership positions, members of black, Asian and minority ethnic communities, people with disabilities and LGBTQI+ people. We also welcome flexible working arrangements.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.